Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Opti sailing

In week 8 we are going Optimist yachting and kayaking, So for reading we are researching it. Here is my work that i have completed: 

WALT Locate and Summarise Ideas



  1. Select 5 keywords or phrases from the sailing video:
Click here to watch a Youtube clip about sailing. Click here to read about sailing. Once you have watched and read both, complete this google doc.

Success criteria: key words sum up the meaning. They are often nouns (but not always)

  1. Explain why you are looking forward to Opti sailing and kayaking.
  • Because It is a whole new experience for me and I want to make new memories with my classmates

  1. Vocabulary: for the words you find that you do not know, share a meaning in your own words and find a dictionary meaning.

Word
My Meaning
Dictionary Meaning
Sprit pole
The main pole that holds up the kayak.  
A pole that balances the kayak.  
Rudder
I am unsure what this is
A rudder is the thing that steers the boat in the right direction.  
Dagger board
I dont know what this is
A centerboard

4.  Opti sailing - what are the key things you think you are going to need to know to
a) Sail the Opti yacht and know how to steer the boat properly
b) To be safe on and around the water and know how to tie the knots for the boat
5. Kayaking - what are the key things you think you are going to need to know
a) How to kayak and How to steer the boat
b) To be safe on and around the water and to know what to do if my boat flips over
 

No comments:

Post a Comment